Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Help

I finally went to see The Help last night. It was a really entertaining movie, good engaging story, well acted and all that. And it's generally agreed that the people who went through the civil rights movement of the 1960's did many great and brave things to improve the lives of everyone.

I can't help but bringing my thoughts back to the struggles we are going through NOW in 2011. More and more people are loosing jobs every day, the actual unemployment rate is much higher than the official numbers say, in my county alone it's 10% officially, in reality if you count everyone who is underemployed, has given up, or has fallen out of the system it would be more like 20%. That means 1 in every 5! Teachers & firemen in Wisconsin -in fact all over the country are loosing the rights to collectively bargain for their benefits and salaries that were gained by the sacrifices of brave union workers in the early part of the 20th century. I'd like to see another movie about that, how people gained the right to a 40 hour work week & ended child labor. These days people have made student loans for unbelievable amounts of money only so that they could get jobs that don't exist -I speak from personal experience on this one, I have 2 children with beautiful college educations, massive loans, and no jobs. One even attended an Ivy League school, a sure guaranty of a job right? Wrong. What can he do? Go to more school, hopefully get a job in one of the only professions in this country where people actually work, the law.

What is really going on here? The struggle has become colorless, the struggle has become one of the wealthy against everyone else. The tea party is trying to fool everyone, they don't represent the common man who they say will loose from high taxes, they represent the wealthy. The corporations and the rich will continue to get unfair tax cuts. They have paid less and less taxes every year since the Reagan administration and while the poor and the middle classes have gone into debt and work more and more jobs (which no longer exist) just to make ends meet. Just to pay their children's medical bills & educations- which by the way are the only debts that cannot be wiped away by bankruptcy...it's true, if you are bankrupt you still have to pay those enormous medical bills and unrealistic student loans (just so you know, it costs $40,000 a year to go to both Art Center & Columbia University, ask me how I know). And bankruptcy has become nearly impossible, for the middle class to file any more...another safety net removed by the Bush administration. That's right if your child gets cancer and you have thousands of dollars in medical bills you might as well just give away your house and live on the street. I'm sorry to say the bill collectors will probably still find you sitting on your box in the parking lot while you panhandle.

What is going on here?

Pardon me while I shout....THE HELP NEEDS A JOB!!!!

We need to be focusing on creating jobs, not cutting more through budget cuts. We need to be taxing and regulating those who can afford it best, the wealthy & the corporations. I would like to see Obama give a real helping hand to the American people not just the banks. I would like to see congress step up and do the same. I would like to see those who are supposed to work for the people really do their jobs and be brave.

And I'm going to suggest this to people who really want to learn some interesting things from a news network that doesn't benefit from any corporate money and was the original public radio. It's been around since the 1940's, it's called Pacifica, in my area I listen to 90.7 KPFK but you can listen all over the world streaming live online...

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Well put, Elizabeth. Here, our unemployment rate (not including people like us don't file for meager benefits we paid in) is over 30%. Sadly, it's become a daily sore subject. Hubby is considering a move to Portland or Seattle. I really would hate that, feel a major step back. But, then, it's not a back time for the whole country. Our teens have been interested in cost of living when we were their age. By discussing it, it's become even more clear to me: GREED the culprit. How did we get from a 25-cent entertainment to $10 nowadays. I used to pay 5-cent cable ride, round-trip, from one part of town to another in San Francisco. Now, it over $3 one way. I can't see a fix to the severely damage system we are for decades. When Thomas Jefferson signed off the Declaration of Independence, he said "The country doesn't get any better than this." And boy, did you call it! He knew then. One way for our children to have a promising future is to toss out what's in place and starts from scratch. Yes, I am much a radical thinker, extremist when it involves our governmental policies. I think it's wrong for elected officials in Senate, House, and Congress to get bonus every year while we've been in trillion $$$ deficit and with unbalanced budget. I grew up in middle-class. There isn't any in today's stance. You're either poor--struggling to make ends meet or filthy rich. I do see a trend more American families moving abroad to European countries...at least they have decent health care/employment systems.

Ooops...sorry for the long rant. I came over to thank you for the comfort left on my blog last week. It's better late than never. I was traveling and have been bombarded with family events. This was my very first submission after many procrastination. I do think it's a beauty with interest...comfortable to lounge in and in style to sport around town. So, naturally, I felt a let-down even though I did not expect a ride without some saddlesores. I just need to sob and then move on. It's all good. I really appreciate your cheers. Thanks for fixing me up, Michele. After experiences shared by you and others, I am contemplating to self-publish rather than re-submit. I'm taking it slow...

Again, your mental support is greatly appreciated :D

Blessings,
Sarah

P.S. Glad you and your family love the yellow curry. I will be sharing some yummy pulled chicken recipe soon...that is very very simple to make when you do not have time to cook or not physically feeling up to the chore :D By the way, I couldn't leave comment using my wordpress ID so I have to use my blogger one instead?

Elizabeth said...

I was a little afraid that people would get mad at me for saying those things...it's always nice to know there are other people that agree. It is crazy at least your husband is only talking about Portland or Seattle! Mine is working (from home) for an Irish company, and they've offered him a directing position in Dublin! Sounds romantic, but really it's faaaar! And I have animals & kids people that need me here!