Thursday, September 1, 2011

Michael Rhode Dye workshop


Over the weekend I took a workshop in dyeing given by fellow guild member & weaver extraordinaire Michael Rhode. He uses liquid dyes and has a very scientific method for getting the exact colors he wants. The dyes we used were Remazol Liquid Reactive dyes you can get them from Dharma Trading www.dharmatrading.com & www.prochemical.com I love this no more danger of breathing dye powder. Although I've got so much dye powder it may take my entire life to use it all up.

During the class I was so busy that I didn't snap one picture! But we made a great dye reference book and that I can show you!

Michael uses 6 colors for all of the colors you will see here. A cool & warmer version of Red Yellow & Blue. I've labeled the color names below each photo.

First we made these samples of colors from full strength to more dilute.
Fuchisa, Bright Yellow, Bright blue.
Scarlet, Golden Yellow, Navy.
Then mixing Fuchsia & B. Yellow, B. Yellow & B. Blue, Fuchsia & B. Blue.
Scarlet/Golden Yellow, Golden Yellow/Navy, Scarlet/Navy.
Fuchsia/Green, B. Yellow/ Violet, B blue/ Orange
Scarlet/Green, G Yellow/ Violet, Navy/Orange

It's pretty involved with formulas etc, but simple once you understand. If you ever get the chance to take the workshop from Michael I highly recommend it. I'm really excited to have this notebook because I can just pick the colors I want and then read the formula. I was also thinking it's great for blending fibers on the drum carder. Some other great references for color are the books Color in Spinning & Color Works by Deb Menz.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

FUN. Love the color cards. That's one gorgeous batch of colors you dyed up :D Yes, definite blend them as you please to produce another set of wonderful colors. Judith MacKenzie taught me that method and so did Deb Menz. The effect is delicious and fun. Then, you don't need as many individual dyes. I had a fabulous time with Deb at SOAR here in Sunriver a couple of years ago blending with comb, hackle, and carder. She gave me a trunk show of her color-wheel sweater plus others wonderful hand-dyed sweaters. She is a wonderful sweet person to hang with. I love her book!

Elizabeth said...

Lucky girl that you took their classes! I had so much trouble at that SOAR since I was one of those who came down with the horrible flu. But I'm excited that SOAR will be in California next year! I'll be ready as soon as registration opens to sign up! I am going to take a class from Judith in a couple of weeks. One of these days I'll get one from Deb too.