Friday, March 26, 2010


Once upon a time I attended my guild's weekend retreat and the featured artist was renowned weaver Anita Luvera Mayer. I purchased a copy of her book "I Don't Do Guilt Anymore" and copied several of her patterns for simple clothing that she had brought to share. Recently I found a used copy of her book "Clothing From The Hands That Weave" and I'm hoping to be making more cloth for simple clothing over the summer. I really love making my own clothes and wearing them -although admit to being guilty of buying more clothing than I need- the pieces I've made are the ones I come back to again and again.

(This is the sticky mohair warp!)

The thing that really stuck with me over that weekend was that you should never leave your loom empty. Once you wind something off you should put the next project on right away -to hell with the housework!

I certainly do more dishes than weaving, but I always follow this one rule. So yesterday after I removed a velvety soft scarf from my loom I immediately warped it again with sticky mohairy shawl warp. It's beautiful but a big pain to weave because when you lift the sheds the mohair yarn grabs it's neighboring yarn and doesn't want to separate.

(The scarf that was removed from the loom, ah it's sooo very soft.)

I found one threading error that I was able to repair by taking a heddle that was cut at both ends and snapping it in between the warp so that I could move the thread from heddle #3 to #2. Ok I realize that unless you weave that may as well have been Greek, but I don't know how else to say it without giving you a weaving class and video tutorial.
I left the 2nd mistake because I do not want to Gods to turn me into a spider.

This is a little extra piece I wove which will be sewn into small velvet handbags.

This is the view from my loom...why don't I weave more often?

1 comment:

Yarndancer said...

Wow, what a beautiful view!! I love your weaving, and laughed when I came to the line about leaving the 2nd mistake :D