Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Craft day at my house

For years I've wanted to organize a dye day at my home but I wanted to do natural dyes and I didn't feel confident with them. Since doing that workshop last month on working with natural dyes I decided to go ahead and try! I probably made a few mistakes, I didn't have lye and used washing soda and the indigo dye went bubbling over the top of the jar! And now there is blue stuff all over my yard, but we did dye a lot of stuff! Gigi, Riley & I put the first wool into the Indigo dye pot The surface of the liquid is blue but you can see below it is yellow, this means the dye pot is ready because the indigo reacts with oxygen and then turns from yellow to green to turquoise to blue...simply amazing! I would have liked to make a video of the process but I'm afraid everyone was to entranced by it to actually pick up the camera and capture it! Yes the indigo smells really bad! Like poo actually! haha! Ah the joys of life! The precious jar of indigo! Some of our dye results, Julie dipped her kelly green fringe half way into the dye to make it more interesting. It turned out beautiful! Riley knows! Safety first! That's Gerri looking on. Me, miss fluffy hair, hmmm that didn't turn out very well! It didn't even change from that greenish yellow, oh well! more stuff we dyed And in my house too!! I think I'm going to weave an indigo blue blanket. Lots of stuff to spin. Riley dyed an old t shirt for her mom!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Wow! What a dyeing day you all had! The colors are beautiful.

I'll stay tuned.