Wednesday, November 5, 2008

why?



I don't understand why prop 8 passed...It's the proposition to change the California constitution to ban same sex marriage. How can this happen in our state which is so progressive? People were so motivated to get out and vote for Obama which was great, but I wonder sometimes if the fact that we are 3 hours behind the east coast affects our attendance at the polls. After all, I left the rec center, a polling place, where I teach dance at 8pm last night, when the polls were closing, by the time I got home 15 minutes later the news was announcing that McCain had ceded the election. They hadn't even started counting the west coast when that announcement came through! And much earlier, before I went out to teach it was already being said on CNN that even if McCain won the middle of the country there was no way he would win.

What is the lesson here? And why do we have to have a lesson? I feel that I could have done more than have a sign in my yard saying NO on 8...I wish that I had helped out by making calls or something like that. The other night when there was a BIG yes on 8 protest near my home and there was one lady standing on the corner by herself with a NO sign, I stayed home and cooked dinner, because Riley was hungry...was it the right thing to do? Should I have given her a sandwich and gone to stand with the lady? Did the liberals not come out to vote because the BIG issue had already been settled?

And the issue here is not whether you are heterosexual or homosexual but do you believe in separation of church and state? And do you think that issue is important enough to stand up for? I do. This morning as looked at the election results for propositions around the country I saw there were so many issues motivated by people's personal religious beliefs. I totally believe in freedom of religion, but those beliefs are a PERSONAL matter NOT a government matter. And there is a major irony here, the same people who say they want government out of their personal lives are the same ones saying they want laws passed protecting their religious beliefs.

This is just another form of bigotry!

Mostly I feel really sad for two beautiful kind & funny women friends of mine who just 4 weeks ago told a group of us the story over dinner of how they went out the first day that they could to get married. They are such a sweet and loving couple, how is it a threat to anyone else that they are allowed to be married? HOW?

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

must add to this...
My daughter just told me that she is reading that the count is still to close to call. Prop 8 still MAY be defeated! They have to finish counting all the votes...
say a prayer, cross your fingers, light a candle!