Friday, November 28, 2008

When did the day after Thanksgiving become "Black Friday?"



I guess it was aptly named, in light of today's events of injuries and even death over shopping mania!

My family & I had an amazingly relaxing day of hanging around eating leftovers, watching movies, knitting, Robert worked on his War of the Worlds storyboard (ok he was working but in his p.j.'s). Over breakfast my daughter shared her surprise at seeing cars lined up to get parking at outlet stores last night on her way home from her girls' night out and that was at 1:00am !

I don't watch regular t.v. so I'm often out of the loop on what is happening with the mainstream society. But it seems people were possessed by some mania to get in line to be the first ones to start their holiday shopping! I'm embarrassed to live in a country where the people are manipulated to this degree! And although the shoppers definitely behaved badly I basically blame the corporations who profit by creating this kind of mania over a holiday that is supposedly about joy & peace.

Really I don't have the answers to this, and I admit I have certainly spoiled my children with lots of nice gifts every year, but I hope I put more emphasis on the ritual and the enjoyment of the season and family time. After I read the book Hundred Dollar Holiday: The Case For A More Joyful Christmas by Bill McKibben, I was really inspired to simplify our holiday season here. For this family, we make a big deal out of decorating, buying a tree, baking, making gifts AND minimizing the shopping.

And here's a thought go to Etsy and if you have to buy something you can buy a beautiful handmade gift and support an artist instead of a corporation!

No comments: