Saturday, September 15, 2012

Autumn Tablecloth


Every year we decorate our house with an Autumn theme right before my husband's birthday because it's our favorite time of year.  This year I wanted to make a tablecloth for our yearly celebration.  And it seemed like I could just buy some nice calico prints, use one for a center piece and then build large rectangle bands around it for borders.  When I put the fabrics that I bought onto the table I just didn't think one was right for a center piece.  So I started looking online at different quilt type tablecloths I began by considering a log cabin type pattern, but I couldn't find anything that made me feel satisfied.  My dining table is really large and whatever I put on it makes a really big statement.  It is also one of the first things you see upon entering my home so it is important to me that it look extra nice.

As do all humans, I enjoy of the beauty of things designed based on the Golden Ratio and the Fibonacci sequence.  This basic design principle can be found everywhere from nature-in the spiral pattern in a sunflower to architecture- the Parthenon and the pyramids.  Even a cornucopia an ultimate symbol of Fall follows this mathematical design principal.   I was first introduced to the idea by weaving friends who were using Fibonacci for planning stripes in their warps using the sequence.   I've used it in making handwoven scarves and dishcloths and found it very pleasing!

I'll try to explain how it works as best I can.  Not being a mathematician this may be somewhat flawed but here goes.
For stripes the sequence is
0, 1, 1, 2, 3,5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55 etc
to get this pattern you add a number to the previous one
0+1=1
1+1=2
1+2=3
2+3=5
so if you want to have a stripe sequence starting with 5 yellow yarns you would do this
0+5=5 yarns
5+5=10 yarns
5+10=15 yarns
and so forth until you have enough threads to make what you want.

But then I had to figure out how to make this into a flat piece of fabric.  I pondered this picture from  Wikipedia for a long time:
Here's the source for the picture  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

I wanted more squares-after all I was stuck on the whole Fibonacci idea.  I found these pictures of the Fibonacci sequence inside of the Golden rectangle:  Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_numbers

Eventually I made the decision that I wanted rectangles of about 24" x 15 1/2".  To make this size I needed 4 different sized square pieces of 1-15", 1-9", 1-6", 2-3".  I added 1/2" to every square for the seam allowance.  I am making 8 of these completed rectangles and then I will alternate in between them with plain fabric rectangles.  If I ever get to the point where I quilt the surface I will use the spiral shape as a motif.

Voila!  A balanced looking design and that reflects the ultimate symbol of Autumn as well!


I am not going to finish this in time for Robert's birthday...fortunately he seems amused by all the hoopla I made over making him a tablecloth (what a sweetheart after all he doesn't really want a tablecloth for his birthday) I think he's just touched by the thought of it.  And he will be getting a pumpkin cheesecake so that should satisfy him temporarily.
p.s. Aren't those pumpkins cute?  They are from my garden.

No comments: