Monday, September 5, 2011

Making batts & scarves


This is some less than perfect random wool I had in red, I mixed it with pinkish red mohair and some Angelina. It's really nice now.
I made a huge batch of this black I'm calling it Witch's Hair!


My guild has a beautiful Pat Green drum carder. And generally we are not allowed to rent it. They use it for the sheep to shawl event & maybe at the guild open house for demonstrations but it was really expensive so they don't loan it out. But I've been a member a long time and for some reason I was trusted to rent it. And I was really scared to use it! I was so afraid that I would do something wrong and everyone would get mad at me and I'd have to pay them $500 for a new one.
But I finally used it and once I started I guess I couldn't stop cause you should see the pile of batts on my coffee table. I love it. I love it so much it's my mission to buy one of my own. eek! I hope I can find a gently used one somewhere. And since I had to unregister myself from SOAR I'm going to use that money to help buy one, I feel it's best to use the money as a fiber investment.
This was a batt I purchased online and it didn't look the way I expected it to when I received it in the mail. So I blended it and LOVE it now. I made a very fine 3 ply...I hope there is enough for a pair of socks.
Carding is so much fun, any wool that isn't so perfect on it's own or you dyed weird colors & you want to fix them to be pretty...just run them through the carder and voila! You have a lovely bunch of fiber.
This is a blend of 2 wools that I had dyed green (much of it was really ugly and too dark) some of it was merino, & some just random lumpy wool plus I added cotswold locks and tried to make sure the locks stayed under blended.

Another mix of lumpy wool, w/ merino & cotswold.

And I've been weaving too...some scarves for the gallery...I hope someone buys them!


4 comments:

Sarah said...

Totally, dangerously addictive...I have one on my wishlist LOL Maybe Santa would be sweet to me this year :D

Gorgeous batts...I can't stop droolin' all over them.

Elizabeth said...

Oh yes it is addictive. After borrowing the Pat Green I know that I think the Louet jr (which is what I have) is crummy for what I want.

Sharon said...

I had dreams of carding, but they're on hold after I saw the price tag. Yikes!

You did a lovely job of carding and your scarves are beautiful too.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you Sharon, yes I agree the carders are pricey. Since I got my money back from unregistering from SOAR I've decided to use it as a fiber investment and buy the pat green carder eek!