Wednesday, March 9, 2011

yes I have been knitting-spinning-weaving a LOT!



For that last several weeks it may look like all I've done is belly dancing but it's not at all true! My fiber work has been so consuming that I haven't been able to spend the time to sit down and talk about it on the blog.

So indulge me while I track backwards a bit...


Every New Year I make a list of the marvelous plans I have for the year and one of the things that is a repeated theme in my life is my lack of discipline required to finish projects. As a result I have many Un Finished Objects aka UFOs in my home. These UFOs happen because I am easily fascinated by a new technique or I have an inspirational idea that starts off with a bang but as soon as I find the answer to the puzzle or learn the technique, boredom strikes and it's not interesting any more. Maybe I have ADD. Anyway the project gets stuffed into a basket with other UFO's, it's such a crazy pattern (no pun intended)! I'm embarassed of it and am sure it is the most horrible feng shui ever! From what I can tell this is a common problem among crafters so at least I am not alone. But I am now committed to finishing more old projects than starting new projects. What does that mean exactly? That I have to have at least one old project actively in the works at all times.

The other big issue I have looming (also no pun intended) is my sock yarn stash. It's gotten really ridiculous and I am committed to knitting one pair of socks every month for the remainder of the year. Like a little bird looking for pretty things to feather my nest I am constantly attracted to all those pretty multi colored sock yarns especially of the hand dyed variety. This is not something that you might consider a problem, but if you are a sock knitter you know that there are so many interesting and challenging patterns that call for single color yarns. So the socks I would like to knit don't really match the yarns I have in my stash. Before I buy any more sock yarn I must destash it would just be wrong otherwise. This self imposed rule will have the side benefit of having many beautiful birthday and holiday gifts handy at a moments notice for friends & family.

In keeping with my new rules I have been working hard on finishing this rather boring pair of socks for my husband. Boring because the cuff required a k1 p1 rib (making for rather tedious knitting) and the colorway was a dull olive green/brown/beige on small #2 needles. And I was so optimistic about my progress that I gave him one finished sock and the unfinished sock on the needles as a Valentine's day gift. As I was in the end stretch I was so determined that I began carrying that sock with me every where in my purse. And guess what happened? My purse was stolen!!! grrrrrrr!!!!! So that project is done now! Unless if Lois (LYS owner) has any more or that yarn in her shop then I suppose I could start sock #2 over again.

Here you see a picture of Robert's unfinished socks (R) before Valentine's day that were almost finished the day of the burglary.

On the left are the socks I am working on now...2 at a time from the toe up-I don't like this technique and don't think I'll be doing it again.

Along with my promise to finish making things I am also dedicating myself to blogging regularly every Wednesday at LEAST! So please check back in soon!


No comments: