Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I'm such a creature of habit, not too different from most people I would think. Maybe it's from childhood training of going to school, not to mention having a drill sergeant for a mom...but I seem to get the most work done when I have a schedule. My life has changed a lot over the last two years, my schedule has been disturbed by the fact that my husband works at home most of the time now. Added to that my two grown daughters moved back into our house, one with her little girl and although I adore having them here, we had spread out in their absence. So even though they are helpful I have more people to clean up after in what seems like less space.
To combat this situation I have to make a schedule for myself that forces me to get things done. One of the best things on my schedule is going to knitting group every Tuesday morning. It absolutely guarantees that I will knit consecutively on something for 2 hours one day a week. Naturally this group is comprised of belly dance friends, since the only people I know are belly dancers but anyone is welcome to sit with us and work on their projects.
I have made significant progress on my two toe up red socks. I may need to do another pair of toe ups before I make a decision on whether or not I like this technique. Right now I would say no but it may be that I didn't like the way the pattern was written that is really the problem. Also I think it's hard to judge the correct length of the foot on socks when doing toe up, they seem to be a bit long.
The other thing I've been working on is the Brussels Lace Camisole pattern from Handknit Holidays by Melanie Falick. I may decide to redo it, it looks a bit wide to me at this point, but it's hard to say until I try it on. So I will just knit the entire top and if I don't like it I'll rip it out and do it again...am I weird?
On the spinning front, I've been working on cleaning the world's greasiest ever EVER fleece! It's a corriedale and I'm not happy with it. The wool is very clean it's just so greasy and has gotten tacky from sitting in the bag. I washed it once a few months ago and thought it would be able to just jump in and card and spin it, but it was like play dough! I'm not even exaggerating we were able to mold it into shapes it was that sticky!
So I've been washing it in small batches with boiling water and there seems to be some progress. I am seriously rethinking the wisdom of preparing raw fleeces! Corriedale fleeces anyway. The Romney I recently did is spinning up just beautifully.
Also, I've gone and got myself involved in a SAL of Sushi batts (they look like sushi which I don't eat since I'm a vegetarian) with the Fun Onion group on Ravelry. They were made by Mikki of Funhouse fibers btw and are very pretty. I am planning on making a lariat scarf with the yarns. It has nothing to do with sushi!
The BIG news is that I was in Spin Off! Yay! Also due to a SAL/KAL on Ravelry I entered the Helix scarf challenge and my scarf was chosen to be in the magazine. And it was on Knitting Daily the day before yesterday if you look at that. I'm proud I guess!
Last but not least my student troupe Tandava and my daughters, granddaughter and I all performed in a St. Patrick's day show at one of the community centers where I teach!

2 comments:

Yarndancer said...

Congrats on your scarf being in Spin Off! Your spinning is beautiful BTW, love the pictures!

Elizabeth said...

Thank you!! I was happy about it!