Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rip it rip it!

When I first started knitting garments I was really young and didn't know any other knitters- except my mom who mostly quit knitting after we moved to Southern California from the Netherlands.
As far as I knew knitting was not very popular, I didn't know about yarn stores and they still sold yarn at department stores in the mall. I would go there with my mom sometimes and buy yarn (they even had fabric in the department stores too) you could also buy it at nickle & dime stores like Woolworth. Really I was completely on my own with this fascination. My mom would occasionally come home from a trip to Holland with a batch of new knitting magazines, which I would study until they fell apart, and I got a bunch of old needles from her too. Funny thing is that even though I don't speak or read Dutch very well any more, my first knitted garments were out of those Dutch books.
So I would visualize what I wanted to make, get the stuff to make it, copy a piece of clothing that fit me well (it was helpful that I was good at sewing) and I almost always would end up with things that I liked to wear.

Over the years I had more money to spend, started reading knitting magazines and books and going to yarn stores and I learned about patterns. Reading patterns became an interesting thing in itself. But I often encountered a problem when I followed patterns exactly instead of my intuition-the finished product didn't always look good on me. And that brings me to the point I want to make. I'm kind of tired of spending hours of my time making beautiful things that don't look good on me or the intended wearer. And yesterday as I was working on the Brussels Lace Camisole that I mentioned in my blog and I decided to rip back and re do it in a shape that I think will be more flattering to my body. I am still following the stitch pattern but instead of having a really low neckline in the back I am raising it up about 4 inches and then I'll start the straps. I think it will prevent the straps from eternally falling off of my shoulders as often happens with this style of top.
I must say I'm feeling somewhat empowered by this decision!





4 comments:

Sarah said...

I am full of envies how you are connected with your mom through fascination of fiber craft. I taught myself to knit an heirloom lace blanket before my oldest son was born in early 80s. For the life of me, I had no idea how I managed and finished it! In mid 2005, I picked knitting back up again sporadically. When we moved to Oregon later that year, I got serious in the craft and haven't stopped playing ever since. Kinda like you, I like what I see in designs and patterns but can't follow them just because my shape is not your typical/average size than that of the pattern. I improvise to fit my personal taste. So far, it works out most of the time. Nowadays, I am making myself follow instruction/pattern as written through knitting shop samples. I tell you, though I learn alot, but still don't like it when I often times think it could be improved--design or clarity of how it was written. I don't mind ripping if it means I'll be happy with the end product. Thanks for sharing your experience and trials.

Yarndancer said...

Good idea to shorten the straps - just had a look on ravelry, and it does seem very low. It is a very empowering feeling when you realise something could be better, with a pattern or anything, and then you make it better. I love that feeling!

I liked reading about your early crafting. Isn't it strange that as youngsters, we don't think anything of changing anything, or challenging techniques, but then we can get into a rut of being scared to change it or try something new? Interesting :)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the comments girls! I also made it longer than the pattern. I hate to have a top that is too short, it's not like I'm in my twenties any more, I don't want my belly peeking out unless it's on purpose.

Sarah said...

Elizabeth, there was no address attached to your comment where I may reply to you directly about spinning paper...sorry. It's my first try and hasn't been washed. It's very textured right now...once washed/dried, it will feel more like jute/sisal. My goal is to spin fine, 2-ply for a Japanese-inspired garment someday :D We'll see...I do love the feeling of spinning non-wooly.