Monday, February 22, 2010

Corespun



I've been making some corespun yarns now. It's a great way to show off those beautiful batts that you see everywhere. It is done by taking a laceweight yarn as a base and spinning fiber over it on nearly a 90* angle. It's trickier than you would think! I went out and bought a few cones of Jaeggerspun wool/silk lace weight yarn for the core. It was probably too expensive of a choice, but after I tried core spinning on cotton, I wanted something that would have the stretch of wool and the soft bounce. I'm going to give the cotton core another whirl (no pun intended) Esther of Jazzturtle recommends using crochet cotton and her work is beautiful so I'm going to pick some up this week and try it out.

I used to think corespinning was kind of like cheating, because you used a yarn that was commercially spun as a base; but now I feel it's just a different technique for a unique effect. And naturally being my silly self I will try using some of my own homespun as core one of these days as well.

1 comment: