Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Antique Sewing machines



I collect old sewing machines...and really I shouldn't collect anything my house is too small and there are too many people living here.

I have an affection for beautiful wood...
I like antiques not only because of their beauty but their functionality. As opposed to modern machines they never break, everything is made out of metal and can be repaired instead of replaced. They have passed the test of time. Every town or county has a reliable sewing machine repair person you just have to look around.

I have a Singer featherweight that sews perfectly that I let Riley use. It has perfect even stitches.



And a treadle that was made in the early 1900's & works beautifully too, soon I will buy a new belt for it because sometimes leather needs to be replaced.

Also I love that the treadle doesn't require electricity. I have a fantasy of myself sewing quilts on it on my back patio. Note that I am a horrible quilter, but it is my guilty pleasure.

There are a couple of Vikings that I gave to my daughters which are so beautiful and work incredibly. No pictures sorry.

And a long time ago before I knew about the internet & ebay I bought this reproduction Singer which is beautiful and works but needs some adjustment that I am giving away...anyone want it? Come & get it.


2 comments:

Yarndancer said...

Antique sewing machines are so beautiful, and I also love that they don't require electricity. I don't have one unfortunately, but the pictures you've taken of yours are just beautiful! (wish I lived closer so I could grab the one you're giving away lol!)

Elizabeth said...

I wish you could take it too! It's surprising how hard it is to give something away!