Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Needle for hire


So I make costumes for people, another thing I have always done. My mother used to make my costumes and made many of them for the Tikis when I danced there. It is an interesting thing to do because it takes more than just the ability to sew a garment, which is an enormous thing in and of itself, it requires the willingness to invent new ways of making things. Once Jillian wanted to be a Balinese princess and I was just exasperated...she had a postcard that my parents had sent her when they vacationed there. The girls on the postcard wore beautiful gold crowns and I had no idea how to make something like that until I ran across gold placemats at the craft store. I cut out a crown and sewed around the edges to make it look like filagree, drapped big gold beads and sewed on flowers as well...the effect was charming if I do say so myself. I'll have to see if I can find a photo somewhere.

Fast forward to now. People have these grand ideas in their heads and sometimes they want me to make them reality! Sometimes I'm the person with the grand ideas too. It's a challenge, and I try really hard to make them happy. So Michaella is a friend and former dance student of mine she had all these gathered trims & fabrics, & pictures from the internet of a special skirt she wanted to wear to dance a Zulu lounge this Friday. I've been working hard the last couple of days to make Michaella's dream come true...here's how it looks.
This is being modeled on Jillian who is smaller in the hips than Michaella (they are both super tiny). So it fits a bit loose.
I hope this makes her happy!

No comments: