Friday, June 3, 2011

A great wheel

This is my new baby...she is very very large, 5 feet tall! And well over 100 years old.
They don't call it a great wheel because it's great but because of it's size. Sometimes you will also hear it called a Walking Wheel because you spin the wheel and walk away from the point to make yarn.
She needs a bit of repair, a loose spoke, the leather thongs that hold the spindle in place are broken.
For now I've used some rubber bands & paperclips to hold her together but I plan to do real restoration after I come home from Cairo Caravan this weekend.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Full of envies!!!! Oh mine...she is absolutely stunning. You did good. And I'm so looking forward to a complete makeover in the making :D Enjoy the weekend...it sounds all fun.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Sarah! I wish my husband was more impressed with the wheel, it's a bit large for his taste!