Tuesday, June 29, 2010

yarn n such



Last Saturday was the celebration of the Ventura County Handweaver's and Spinners Guild 40th anniversary! I have been a guild member for around 14-15 years though I haven't always been good at attending meetings...they are the 4th Saturday of the month and there always seems to be something else happening on that day. Anyway, I didn't take pictures that day because I was too busy demonstrating spinning art yarns and talking to people and now I regret that.

It's somewhat of a switch for me to make art yarns, previously I would have described myself a traditional type spinner, but I have been trying to learn new things. I've also been working to improve my traditional spinning techniques, and focusing more energy into creating yarns intentionally. For the longest time I didn't care what type of yarn I would get as long as it was pretty and pleasing and useable which it usually was. Now I'm focusing more on what kind of yarn I want and how I can create it.
First I demonstrated how to make a coil. Here is the basic roving I used which is merino that I dyed myself and I used a wool/silk blend for the lace weight.





After I finished up with that I went on to show how to do core spinning. I used a batt that I purchased from JazzTurtle on Etsy with another color of the wool/silk blend for core and afterwards I plied it with lavendar embroidery thread to balance it nicely.


No comments: