Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I went to SOAR!!!

It's hard to believe I haven't blogged in almost 2 months! My life is just like everyone else's this time of year, crazy busy! I'm not sure why I let this happen but I'll try to fit a few of the highlights from my calendar that are just too exciting not to share. It may take a few installments on the blog...

First of all I went to SOAR-Spin Off Autumn Retreat, a dream of mine for quite a few years now. This event is an annual one put on by Interweave Press, it has a limited amount of registrants and I think I got in because the economy is so bad that a lot of the usuals didn't go. The teachers are the most well known and respected fiber artists in the country it was a great opportunity to learn and network and be with people who share the same crazy passion I have! It was pretty expensive undertaking, I'm trying not to feel guilty about the cost! I'm just so grateful that I went.

I had to buy myself a traveling spinning wheel which fit in the overhead bin on an airplane. Here is the sweet little Victoria wheel next to my Schacht wheel.

In preparation for going I wanted to make myself one of my handspun & woven belly dance belts to submit for the gallery...although I didn't finish my project in time - I ended up borrowing a belt from Nisan, who commissioned one from me a few years back- I'm happy I will finally have one of my own belts...it's hard for me to make time to finish a project for myself.

Here is the yarn I dyed & spun for the belt

and being measured for the warp



Here are a couple of shots of the warp going on the loom



And being woven




It's hard for me to express the happiness I feel when I see a warp on the loom, it's just such a satisfying thing.

I didn't take nearly enough pictures while I was at SOAR but here they are:

This is Sarah Swett- she is an incredibly inspiring woman. She actually used to live out in the wilderness in a cabin with just a mule, and during her time there she learned to spin. She is an exceptional artist, she only uses her own handspun yarns, prepared from fleeces that she dyes exclusively with natural dyes, she then designs her own handknits and tapestries.



Unfortunately I was really sick while at SOAR I didn't feel well enough to take pictures of all the great things she brought to show us...but I did get to try on her vest, so that's me w/ messy hair and all wearing Sarah's vest.





You can see a few of her things on the table behind me in the picture.

After that class I went to a class with Sarah Anderson, another exceptional artist, on Designing in Spinning. She had a whole table of white yarns she had spun using different techniques, I was very inspired by the consistent and organized manner these women have developed to get so much work done. Here is Sarah Anderson's hand as she demonstrates how to wind yarn for Andean plying and several of her yarns that were on display.








After Sarah's class I took some pictures of paintings and the lodge to show Robert and everyone.







Then I became incredibly sick and couldn't do much else, I missed my class on spinning for socks (heartbreaking). I somehow got through the class on hand cards but I was too sick to take pictures. There is a picture of the bed I spent too much time in and the view I had of the fireplace from the self same bed!

5 comments:

Joanna said...

Such a shame you were sick, but what a fabulous opportunity. I dream of being able to attend SOAR one day, but as it will also mean a long flight and even more expense, it will have to wait a few more years!

Elizabeth said...

Part of the reason I jumped at the opportunity was because it was on the west coast and I had missed the last west coast opportunity. They alternate West-mid West-East coast. The next one will be in Wisconsin.

Yarndancer said...

It sounds like SOAR was great, it's a shame you got sick though.

Sharon said...

Sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well for SOAR. I'm sure what you learned while there was worth the trip.

One day, when I'm old and really, really gray, I might be able to go too.

Elizabeth said...

I learned so much it was great! From the minute I arrived I started learning and sometimes remembering things I had forgotten about. My roomie taught me how to Navajo ply on the run when I first arrived, it's slow but really a great technique.

Sharon you should save up and go it's worth it, I'm just afraid it may be addicting!