Monday, January 12, 2015

Fairy Apothecary

That is me the Fairy Apothecary!

Instead of relying on store bought medicines I've been using homemade herbal and plant remedies this winter.
 Pickled garlic- easy to make and one of the best to prevent colds and flu.  Just peel garlic fill jar, cover with apple cider vinegar.  Leave in sunny location for 4-6 weeks.  Strain off the liquid and save 1/2 for salad dressings and cooking.  Lightly simmer the remainder of the liquid with some honey and pour back over the garlic cloves.  Let that sit for another 4 weeks and enjoy the garlic for cooking.  It keeps indefinitely in a dark spot or I just store it in my fridge.  
Reminder to self: go outside and plant more garlic for more pickling now!
 Elderberry syrup is great for cough and sore throat.  
I got most of my recipes out of Rosemary Gladstar's book Medicinal Herbs and Susun Weed's book New Menopausal Years The Wise Woman Way

I love my orders from Mountain Rose Herbs!



No comments: