Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Failure


A few months ago I agreed to do a Weave Along on the backstrap group on Ravelry. I was really inspired by the pictures and watched lots of videos. Then I bought a backstrap kit and thought I would do it that way. It was kind of stupid to buy the kit, I don't think it was worth the price and I ended up giving it to Riley. She has done some beautiful weaving on it and is happy to know it's her "loom"(or bunch of string).
But I haven't been as successful as she. I haven't given up yet though and I'll show you some pictures of my 2nd attempt. So far all I have to say about back strap weaving is that it hurts my back, I got the yarns all tangled, couldn't find anything suitable for tying the end up to and it is difficult to make a good open shed and those cross bars just keep spinning all around...ugh!
I will conquer...eventually...I hope. I thought I could do something bigger than I was ready to do because heck I'm already a weaver right? Maybe not! Ugh here is the jumble I wanted to throw out! I'm going to start again with some thicker yarn a smaller piece and I'm going to look for a spot where I can support my back while working. Maybe I will use a rigid heddle instead of a string one but I'll try again with the string first.


Today I'm warping the floor loom so I can feel happy and some what successful.
This is a bit of a depressing post yes? So I will follow it up with something more fun next!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. While I was reading your rant, I kept thinking of your floor loom LOL. I get days like that with knitting and spinning at times...not failure, just learning experience, my friend. Walk away...put it aside...return when the feeling is right and be surprised with a DUH moment :D

I've just been offered a 40" hand-made loom recently and am tempting to accept...but I'd have to rent a studio to house it and all my other stash! No way hubby will let it in the house LOL

Elizabeth said...

Yes definitely I agree it is really valuable to make mistakes and walk away and come back later. It's definitely been part of my learning process.

On getting a loom I'll give you a little unsolicited advice. Don't take it until you are ready to get a loom (you have space or whatever you need). I say this because there are always people getting rid of looms, on any given day you can find one on Craigslist, ebay or through your guild. 40" is awfully big! When you are ready the right loom will be there for you!!