Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ventura County fair August 2010

I must say that this was the coolest summer in my memory! Since I'm not a fan of hot weather it was great for me, but when it got hot it got super hot and temperatures went up to 104* ugh! Ok summer in Southern California should be hot that is normal probably averaging in the 80's with some heat waves that go up into the 90's and maybe one heat wave going up into the 100's. But going from the 60's to over 100 in one day is just wrong! Does anyone doubt global climate change any more?

One of the usual summer activities I enjoy taking part in is the Ventura County Fair, the last few years I've been too busy dancing to take the time to enter anything. But I've made an effor to be more involved in my local guild and felt encouraged to dig through my stuff for something I've made in the last year to enter. It was a challenge because mostly I give stuff away to family or friends or I wear it and it looks all sad and worn but here is what I put in the show...

This one was hard to photograph, it's such a dark purple. Anyway it's a singles yarn I spun from Wensleydale top. It's very shiny and pretty as yarn, I knitted up a sample of it and it doesn't look good as knitted fabric. I don't really know what to do with it because it looks so nice as yarn...I was thinking of maybe weaving with it and using some really thin yarn for the weft so that you can still see the structure of the yarn. If you have an idea. Any suggestions are welcome!


This is some yarn I spun from a Romney fleece I bought from Sky Lines Farms and dyed with indigo. I have a lot more to spin, it will become a blanket. I hope I finish it soon, it's already cold again!

After reading Jacey Bogg's article in the last Spin Off & my new favorite book The Intentional Spinner by Judith Mackenzie McCuin I decided to try to make a boucle yarn with some naturally grey mohair & some mohair that I dyed black.
It won me a 1st place!



Last I entered a handwoven shawl, it's pretty simple actually just tabby. It has a mixed warp of mohair, rayon, & silk. Which also took a blue ribbon!









Next year I'm going to try to be more intentional in my entries. I'll actually save some of the things I make during the year for the purpose of fair entry.

My guild also has several other activities at the faire, a sheep to shawl event, a booth (that won a blue ribbon), a spinning contest. I was able to attend the sheep to shawl but I didn't get any pictures because I forgot my camera : ( it was fun though, several spinners get together and spin away getting the yarn ready to be woven by a weaver into a shawl which is then auctioned off for charity.

Also while I was there I bought 2 fleeces even though I swore I would not, they were just to good to pass up.
One is a Romney (I needed more for my blanket anyway). Isn't it pretty?




The other is a Corriedale (I've already washed this one)...also very pretty!















I failed to mention that the singles yarn I made in the dark purple was also because I was inspired by the Intentional Spinner, I really wanted to make a good thick single. This book is so fabulous I think all spinners should have it in their library. Go out and buy it!
A better shot of the purple single...I took it out back and put it on the Tiki bar




No comments: