Monday, January 11, 2010

U-turns

Dancing at Donavon's w/ my best buddy HeidiOur queen Riley & her mascot Olivia
My very buttery quiche-would you like the recipe?
Dancing w/ my students-Amy, Jillian,& Melissa at TFF
Jasmin & Jillian in the kitchen

I used to feel guilty if I made artist U-turns but not any more. Right now I think it's just a way of coping with life, looking at my limitations realistically. When I take on too many things I just can't do any of them justice. After my mother passed away, my whole family was just still swept up in the throes of Mythical Creatures, it was such a high that weeks passed before I had any feelings again. And I kept signing myself up for more and more projects to keep away any pain, I would alternate between being stressed about all the stuff I had to do and feeling unhappy. It's not like I forgot that I was in mourning, it's not like I was doing it on purpose, I just thought I was keeping busy. Anyway, I signed up for classes and certificate programs and every thing in sight! Now that I know what I was doing I'm slowing down a bit. Just trying to keep things simple, do my work-which is dancing and teaching classes- I've moved to a studio close to home Epica and put the bulk of my work on Tuesday night, I'm teaching one other class at the AHCCC on Thursday night, I'm taking a few workshops to support friends but not going crazy by taking classes all over creation, I'm organizing my house, playing with Riley, reading, working in the garden, knitting and spinning-quiet things mostly. It's good.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I was sorry to hear the sad news about your mother. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy.

We all deal with grief in different ways, fortunately you did some u-turning' before you over committed yourself.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Sharon...yes it's true but maybe being committed would have been a good vacation!